Sunday, November 11, 2012

The 47's

I hate politics. I really do. I rarely get into political discussions because people are going to believe what they want no matter if it's true or not. If someone believes in a lie, it is their truth. And if enough people believe in those lies, to them it becomes a fact, even if based on lies.

I believe if you pick almost any statement made by almost any politician and research it on the web, you will find sources that both support those statements, and sources that denounce those same statements as inaccurate or outright lies.  Then of course you have back peddling and flip flopping where those statements may be recanted too. So a politician may sing a different tune if they find the MSM (Main Stream Media) keying in on their off key remarks. So you will often find both the lie, and the truth from the same politician.



How do you deal with that? Politicians want to get elected. They tell you all these great and wonderful things they have done and plan on doing if elected. And if in the heat of a discussion they misrepresent their true feelings or ideals, or conversely state their true feelings or ideals thinking they are private, well they back peddle or flip flop. Now you will have two conflicting versions from  the same candidate for people to zero in on.

So anyway, Mitt Romney made his 47's statement and it was secretly recorded at a campaign fundraiser in March. Below is the gist of what I found at Huffingtonpost when I googled Romneys 47...

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what," Romney said in the video. "There are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it." 

"Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax," Romney said, and that his role "is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."
Seems kind of ridiculous to even bring this up at this point in time. But I had to because I have already labeled myself as a Romney 47, which is not entirely true. So yeah, I'm back peddling a bit myself. I just want to make it clear that we do pay taxes. However, we fit most of the rest of the criteria. We are human beings, and have certain requirements to live. Like health care, food and housing, you name it... We do take personal responsibility and care for ourselves.

Do I feel like a victim? Sometimes. When multi-billion dollar companies like Duke Power feel the need to steal $20 bucks from me, yeah, I guess you could say that...

No comments:

Post a Comment